Entertaining your kids can be expensive, but the good news is it doesn’t have to be. With a little creativity, you can entertain your kids at a low cost! Here are some fun ways to keep your kids busy – without turning to TV or their tablets.
- Check out your local park – Go for a bike ride, rollerblade, run or walk to your local park. Many parks will have a playground, or you can also bring a ball or other games like frisbee or cornhole to keep your kids busy longer.
- Explore local hiking trails – Local hiking trails are a great way to exercise together and keep busy. Look online for options near you. Many Conservation areas will also have a body of water where kids can swim or fish.
- Escape in your backyard – With the summer upon us, nights are getting a little warmer. Consider bringing the tv outside and doing a movie night in the backyard under the stars or tell stories around a campfire. Add some homemade popcorn and store-bought candy to the mix. Finish the night off by setting up a tent and sleeping in the backyard for an exciting change.
- Check out a local dog park – Pets can be expensive, but if your kids love animals, a great way to keep them busy is to check out a local dog park. If you have friends or family with a dog, walk to the park together and let your kids play with the dog. They’ll also get hours of entertainment meeting other dogs and their owners and watching the dogs play.
- Play sensory games – A new trend is to keep kids entertained by testing their senses. A few examples of this include freezing toy cars in water and have them chip away the ice; adding items like toys, food colouring, rice, shapes and Legos into old pop bottles; and pasta art.
- Create a scavenger hunt – this can be adapted to suit many ages. If you children are young, use pictures and pick items in your backyard for the children to find. If they’re older, you can use words and pick items around the neigbourhood.
And let’s not forget some of our favourite stand-bys:
- Sprinkler fun
- Modelling clay
- Hide and seek
- Dance party
- Sidewalk chalk
- Splash pads
Budgeting for kids can be tough, but I’m here to help. Call me today so we can help ensure your financial plan accounts for your kids – so you can embrace the fun of today, while saving for tomorrow.